Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Big 3.5




 

Thursday, October 08, 2009

For our last day of filming I booked a visit to South Africa’s oldest and largest Big Game Park, Kruger National. At 900,000 square hectares, I’m not going to dispute that claim. The official reason for being here is to collect images of the ‘real’ Africa. A way to assure the viewers at home: yes, we were actually here, and here’s the proof - lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

Of the so-called Big Five we managed to capture (on film! Not, you know… never mind) Buffalo, White Rhino, Elephant, and something that might have been a Leopard. We’re still not sure. No sign of a Lion. As a Leo myself, I’m okay with that. Something about preserving the mystery.


So: a solid three-and-a-half out of five. Pas mal, pas mal. More significant, we had full exposure (no pun intended) to the many Zebra, Giraffe and Monkeys of the area. Monkeys!!! I could watch for hours. Yes, I know it’s a cliché: ‘wow, they’re so… like us!’ But spend an hour with a family of Baboons, and if you’re still bored I will buy you a banana myself. I’ll buy a whole bunch.

I won’t write too much of a journal entry here. The images speak (or squawk or screech) for themselves. 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment